Saturday, April 9, 2016

B2B Training Log: Week 3

Week 3 (04.03.2016 - 04.09.2016)

Does a woman's menstrual cycle affect athletic performance? This is the same question as "Do hormones have an effect on athletic performance? The answer is yes.

But how exactly does that play out for me? Since the estrogen concentration is higher in the days leading up to menstruation, you tend to retain more water. Last week, my legs felt inadequate and I felt puffy and bloated even though I ate well. This week, my period started on Sunday and I lost 2-3 lbs and felt much more energetic during my runs.

That aside, I once again learned I need to follow my PRN workouts with more discipline and awareness. More foot arch problems (probably plantar fascitis? or the same peroneal tendonitis that has been plaguing me the past year) led to me cutting out my planned long run (8 miles). I planned to take a break from hills yet I decided to ditch my track workout for a fartlek run to Potrero Hill (doh! -_-)! My feet suffered on those hills. :'(

REMINDER TO SELF: my training volume has increased and has made me more vulnerable to injury! I'll try taping my arch next week and see how that goes. Can't push myself the way I did in high school anymore...

In other news, I PR'd my 5km @ 22:35, 7:16 pace (6:57, 7:27, 7:25 mile splits)! So yay. :)

Nutrition

I've been trying to eat clean when I'm not eating out. My strategies are mainly to cycle between the same foods, to eat things that are high in protein, and to avoid bread, cereal, rice, and pasta  when I can. I'll eat carbs more generously around hard workouts and I don't stress out too much if I go off diet on the weekend. The food items that I have been enjoying for the past several weeks include:
  • Drinks!
    • Traditional Medicinals - Dandelion Root Tea
    • Peppermint Tea
    • Traditional Medicinals - Echinacea Plus (Elderberry) Tea
    • Yogi Ginger Tea
    • 100% Instant Colombian Coffee - TJs
  • Supplements
    • Vitafusion  Adult Gummies for Women
    • Nature Made Fish Oil Adult Gummies
    • Spatone Pur-Absorb Iron (liquid supplement with Vitamin C)
  • Snacks
    • Clif Builder's Vanilla Almond Flavor (SO DELICIOUS) - TJs
    • Quest Bar - Vanilla Almond or Mint Chocolate Chunk - Amazon
    • Natural Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's - TJs
  • Breakfast/Lunch
    • Greek Yogurt, 0% nonfat, sunflower seeds - TJs/Costco
    • Chia seed + Almond milk (a recent delicious addition) - Costco
    • Ground cinnamon
  • Pre-dinner/Dinner
    • Sweet Kale Salad Kit (minus dressing) - Costco
    • Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower
    • Rotisserie Chicken - Costco
    • Tyson Teriyaki Chicken (frozen) - Costco
    • Wild Alaskan Salmon, marinated (frozen) - Costco
    • Cayenne pepper
    • Lemon juice
I've been most concerned about getting enough iron and calcium (not together, because apparently calcium inhibits the absorption of iron??) to help with athletic performance and recovery. 

Workouts this Week

  • Run, Tempo 3.1 mi | @ 7:30 pace at North Beach, SF (6:57 | 7:27 | 7:25)
  • Intervals 6x0.5mi | @ 3:30 each with 0.25 mile rest --> 5 miles
  • Full Body Strength and Core | lightly weighted squats (10-12 lb dumbells), lunges, 2-3 minutes of inversion, and arm work, including reverse pullups, dead-hangs, and hanging leg raises
  • Planks! | Every weekday morning 3 sets of 1'30'' or 5' plan workout

Totals

Run: 8.1mi
Bike: --

No comments:

Post a Comment