Monday, February 29, 2016

March Commitment: Meals at Home and Mornings to Myself

As part of my "focus" theme this year, I've decided to commit to a different exercise in self-discipline each month. This is partly inspired by Murakami, who struck me as an organic and surreal writer, but upon further research, had actually learned to be quite disciplined in his writing process. Talent is nothing without focus and endurance.

Again, this is really for myself. Self-proclamations that keep me personally accountable:

Meals at Home: The month of March, I will not eat out at restaurants. I will spend money on food only from the grocery store. I can, however, eat at friend/family houses or very special occasions (birthdays don't count but my friend's wedding reception does!).

Mornings to Myself: The month of March, I will wake up by 6:30am on weekdays. The first thing I will do in the morning is put on my robe and start hot water for my morning cup of tea.

Two challenges I'll face this month:

One, spring forward is March 13th. Which means 6:30am will feel like 5am after that date. I'll find a way to make it work!

Second, eating out at restaurants is how one socializes on the fly. But it's a commitment and I think my friends will understand. I'll solve this by bringing my own food and having meals prepped.

Currently Reading: What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Haruki Murakami, 2007)

“I am struck by how, except when you're young, you really need to prioritize in life, figuring out in what order you should divide up your time and energy. If you don't get that sort of system set by a certain age, you'll lack focus and your life will be out of balance.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment